More than 600 Cheerleaders, 32 Bands, Seven Entertainment Centers and 36 Charities to Line the Course From the Stadium to the Sea
LOS ANGELES, March 13, 2012--- Runners in the Honda LA Marathon will know they're in the entertainment capital of the world as they encounter 32 bands playing a variety of music, more than 600 cheerleaders, seven entertainment centers and 36 official Marathon charities stationed all along the iconic Stadium to the Sea course on March 18th.
"Runners, spectators and fans of the Honda LA Marathon can count on more than 26 miles of some of the best entertainment this diverse city has to offer," said LA MARATHON LLC Chief Operating Officer Nick Curl. "We've put together an exciting line-up of bands, entertainment centers and cheering sections all along the course from the starting line to the finish line. We invite everyone to come out and experience the music, the energy and of course the excitement of the race itself. "
Some entertainment highlights include:
- The Pussy Cat Dolls' Melody Thornton will sing The National Anthem at Dodger Stadium at 7:18 AM, minutes before the race begins.
- When the race begins at Dodger Stadium, the San Pedro High School Marching Band will kick off the starting line festivities.
- At Mile 4, (1st and Grand Avenue), one of the most grueling hills of the race, the Japanese Hongo Taiko Drummers return to the Marathon for their tenth year to help runners power through this early challenge to the rhythm of their beat.
- At Mile 7, at the corner of Sunset Blvd. and Fountain Avenue, Earlez Grille will feature a reggae band and dancers. This marks their 9th year as part of the marathon.
- The Salvadorean Community has been a part of the Honda LA Marathon for 15 years. They bring their popular musical entertainment to Mile 8 at Hollywood Blvd. and Prospect Avenue.
- At Mile 9 (Hollywood Blvd. and N. Western Avenue), UDLA Sound System will be marking its 22nd year in the Marathon, playing lively Latin music over their sound system.
- Live Christian music of all styles will be played on Sunset Blvd at North Martel Ave in West Hollywood by Run To Win, a partnership of local Christian churches and ministries serving Honda LA Marathon runners for the 17th year.
- There will be cheering, music and treats to sample at the official Beverly Hills Cheer Zone at the corner of Rodeo Drive and Dayton Way. The world famous Rodeo Drive retail corridor will not only provide a community gathering place for race spectators, but will also feature a collection of vendors hosting race-related exhibits, activities and giveaways. They will be entertained by local musicians while browsing booths of local businesses and sampling treats throughout the morning.
- A big balloon arch spanning the street, music, volunteer cheerleaders with cowbells and pompoms, and water await runners a little farther down the course on both the southeast and southwest corners of Rodeo Drive and Little Santa Monica, courtesy of Concern Foundation, a Honda LA Marathon official charity based in Beverly Hills. Through their cheer zone participation and Team Concern runners, Concern Foundation is creating awareness of their non--profit organization dedicated to raising funds to support cancer research world--wide.
- As runners leave Beverly Hills and head toward Mile 18, they will be greeted by more than 600 local middle and high school cheerleaders. Cheer Alley begins at South Santa Monica and Moreno Drive. The cheerleaders will not only cheer on runners as they head to the finish line, they will also be participating in a cheer competition for a $2,500 prize, which will be awarded to the top three squads. Hosted by the Honda LA Marathon, the competition is open to teams of all ages and levels. Squads will be judged based on overall spirit, creativity, showmanship, uniform and banner display.
- The USO Stage at Mile 21 is located at Eisenhower Avenue and Dewey Avenue. The USO will feature a dance troop, bands, and a DJ as they return for their 4th year of participation.
- As runners get to San Vicente and 21st Place at Mile 23, they will be re-energized by the sounds of the surf rock band LA River Swim Team, playing on the course for the first time. Further down on San Vicente at Ocean Avenue at Mile 24, the rock band Core will play for the seventh consecutive year.
For a complete list of Honda LA Marathon Entertainment, On-Course Entertainment.
ABOUT THE RACE: The Honda LA Marathon gives runners and fans a unique way to experience the beauty and diversity of Los Angeles. Now in its third year, the iconic Stadium to the Sea course starts at Dodger Stadium, goes through Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Echo Park and Silver Lake, and passes world-famous landmarks such as the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Grauman's Chinese Theatre, Sunset Strip and Rodeo Drive. The race ends on Ocean Avenue near the Santa Monica Pier. The energy, enthusiasm and entertainment along the course are unparalleled.