4,000 new spots and wave starts
Ottawa (February 6) -- Canada Army Run, acknowledged as the fastest-growing run in Canada, today announced details for the 2013 edition, scheduled for Sunday, September 22.
Registration for Canada Army Run opens Thursday, February 21, at 9:00 a.m. Eastern Standard Time. Those who sign up within the first two weeks will be entered into an Early-Bird Registration draw for a chance to win clothing apparel from the Soldier On Collection.
Among the new initiatives announced were the following:
1) New Registration Caps. The overall cap will increase from 18,000 to 22,000, accommodating 12,000 in the 5K (up from 9,500) and 10,000 in the half-marathon (up from 8,500).
2) Wave Starts. Wave starts will be introduced for both the 5K and half-marathon to help ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for the growing number of participants.
3) Bib Transfers. The successful bib transfer process introduced last year will be extended and will take place in August.
4) New Technical T-Shirts. This year’s running shirts, which all participants receive as part of their registration fees, will sport a new design and the 5K shirt will be red instead of the traditional white.
More than $250,000 was raised last year for Soldier On and the Military Families Fund, the two charities that benefit from the fundraising efforts and proceeds of Canada Army Run.
"I feel immense pride in the growing popularity of Canada Army Run, and sincerely appreciate the support Canadians have shown us. I’m looking forward to this year’s event, where I can once again personally thank many of them." Commander of the Canadian Army, Lieutenant-General Peter Devlin
"The growth of this run has been truly phenomenal. Although we’re adding another 4,000 spots, I encourage people to register soon to secure their place as we sold out three months early last year." Army Run Director Major Simon Côté
"We are very proud to have the opportunity to participate in this great event. At GoodLife, we are strong supporters of the Canadian military and feel privileged to be a part of the Canada Army Run where we have the chance to honour those who serve and protect our country." David Patchell-Evans, GoodLife Founder & CEO
- Presenting sponsor: GoodLife Fitness.
- Backgrounder (which includes statistics on historical growth).
- Photo gallery from past years.
- Race day logistical support for Canada Army Run is provided by Run Ottawa, the same team that delivers Ottawa Race Weekend.
- The Soldier On Collection of clothing, introduced at last year’s Canada Army Run, is available through Running Room, a major sponsor of Canada Army Run.
- Follow Soldier On on Facebook.
- For the latest updates, follow Canada Army Run on Facebook and Twitter.