Aries Merritt, Brittney Reese, Morgan Uceny Set for May 25 in NYC
NEW YORK CITY (April 25, 2013)—With the adidas Grand Prix in NYC exactly one month away, 10 of the best track and field athletes in the world have been added to the deep international lineup, organizers announced today.
Led by 2012 breakout superstar Aries Merritt in the 110-meter hurdles, the star-studded list includes four Olympic gold medalists, three athletes ranked #1 in the world for 2012, and a World Record-holder.
The popular Merritt is all three: Last year, the 27-year-old American blasted to victory in the London Games, ran 12.80 in Brussels to obliterate the World Record, and was ranked #1 in the world by Track & Field News magazine.
The adidas Grand Prix will kick off the summer on May 25 at Icahn Stadium on Randall’s Island. Tickets for the event are on sale at adidasGrandPrix.com or 1-877-849-8722.
Also among the latest stars set for the ninth-annual event:
- Brittney Reese (USA), the 2012 Olympic gold medalist and 2011 World Champion in the long jump who has been ranked #1 in the world for the past four years;
- Fabiana Murer (BRA), the 2011 World Champion in the pole vault, setting up a great matchup with 2012 Olympic gold medalist Jenn Suhr (USA) and rising young star Holly Bleasdale (GBR);
- Morgan Uceny (USA), ranked #1 in the world for 2011 at 1500 meters;
- Christian Cantwell (USA), the 2009 World Champion and 2008 Olympic silver medalist in the shot put who has also won three World Indoor titles, vs. Ryan Whiting (USA), the 2012 World Indoor Champion and three-time NCAA titleholder;
- Stephanie Brown Trafton (USA) vs. Sandra Perkovic (CRO) in the discus, in a matchup of the past two Olympic gold medalists;
- Ryan Bailey (USA), who along with the previously announced Tyson Gay helped the U.S. to a 2012 Olympic silver medal and American Record in the 4x100-meter relay; and
- David Oliver (USA), the 2008 Olympic bronze medalist in the 110-meter hurdles, who will face Merritt.
In addition to Suhr, Gay, and Bleasdale, previously announced athletes include David Rudisha, Veronica Campbell-Brown, Blanka Vlašic, Javier Culson, Jeremy Wariner, Bianca Knight, and Michael Tinsley—giving the adidas Grand Prix 10 Olympic gold medalists and six athletes ranked #1 in the world for 2012, with many stars still to be announced.
The third stop on the international IAAF Diamond League circuit, the adidas Grand Prix is in its ninth year at Icahn Stadium, in conjunction with the Randall’s Island Sports Alliance. The latest news, photos and information on the event can be found at adidasGrandPrix.com; on Facebook; on Twitter; and on Tumblr.