(21-Nov) -- It isn't amongst the oldest Thanksgiving Day races in the United States, but it has quickly become one of the best. The Applied Materials Silicon Valley Turkey Trot, scheduled for next Thursday in San Jose, Calif., boasts a top-class field featuring a half-dozen Olympians and organizers hope that the current course records of 13:28 and 15:40 can be broken.
The leading contenders are:
- Leonard Korir (KEN) - Runner-up at last year's Silicon Valley Turkey Trot in 13:30; 5000m PB of 13:15.45
- Alan Webb (Portland, Ore.) - USA 1-mile record holder (3:46.91); 5000m PB of 13:41.90 (Olympian)
- Shadrack Biwott (Folsom, Calif.) - Winner, 2013 USA Running Circuit points series; 5000m PB of 13:36.25
- Diego Estrada (MEX) - 2013 NCAA Big Sky Conference 1500m and 5000m champion; 5000m PB of 13:15.33 (Olympian)
- Monder Rizki (BEL) - 2004 Belgian indoor 1500m champion; 5000m PB of 13:04.06 (two-time Olympian)
- Nicholas Kipruto (KEN) - Seventh at last year’s Silicon Valley Turkey Trot; 5000m PB of 13:41.90
- David Torrence (Oakland, Calif.) - Three-time USA Road Mile champion; 5000m PB of 13:16.53
- Nelson Oyugi (KEN) - 2013 Wharf to Wharf 6-mile champion.
- Sally Kipyego (KEN/Eugene, Ore.) - 2011 World and 2012 Olympic 10,000m silver medalist; 5000m PB of 14:30.42
- Rkia El Moukim (MAR) - Winner, 2013 Chris Thater 5-K (15:27); 5000m PB of 15:21.88
- Betsy Saina (KEN) - 2013 NCAA 10,000m champion; 5000m PB of 15:12.05
- Sarah Kiptoo (KEN) - 2013 Cleveland and Grandma's Marathon champion
- Bridget Franek (Eugene, Ore.) - 2010 NCAA steeplechase champion; 5000m PB of 15:46.08 (Olympian)
- Chelsea Reilly (Tiburon, Calif.) - 2012 USA 10-K road running champion; 2013 USA Indoor 3000m champion; 5000m PB of 15:10.14
- Katie Mackey (Seattle, Wash.) - Seven-time NCAA All-American at the University of Washington; 5000m PB of 15:23.65
- Kellyn Johnson (Flagstaff, Ariz.) - 2013 Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half-Marathon champion; 5000m PB of 15:31.66
While organizers expect a total of 28,000 runners in all events, the elite races are invitationals held on a separate four-loop, certified course. Men and women run separately for a total purse of $25,000, but $5000 course record bonuses are available for the winners.
PHOTO: Kenya's Sally Kipyego after winning the 2012 Olympic 10,000m silver medal in London (photo by Jane Monti for Race Results Weekly)