February 23, 2017: Ottawa - National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces: Canada Army Run is proud to announce it is adding a new event to its 2017 lineup to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge, a pivotal milestone in Canadaís military history. Participants entering the Vimy Challenge, presented by Veterans Affairs Canada, will take part in the 5K race followed by the 10K, another new feature this year.
With the addition of the new events, Canada Army Run now offers the following:
- Vimy Challenge (5K + 10K)
- Half marathon
- Commanderís Challenge (5K + half marathon)
This yearís edition is taking place on Sunday, September 17, 2017, and promises to be a memorable event in our nationís capital, as Ottawa is the place to be during Canadaís 150th anniversary.
Register now, as prices go up on March 31st, donít miss your chance to join us this year for our 10th anniversary! Canada Army Run will welcome tens of thousands of participants from across the country to run, walk and roll in this truly unique military-themed community event held in Ottawa and Gatineau.
- The Battle of Vimy Ridge began on Easter Monday, April 9, 1917. For the first time, the four divisions of the Canadian Corps fought side-by-side, securing a great victory. The ingenuity and fighting skills demonstrated at Vimy marked the coming of age of the Canadian military. For more information on Vimy, please visit: ArmyForces.gc.ca.
- Canada Army Run is one of the most inspiring events in the country where civilians, Canadian Armed Forces personnel and runners of all ages and abilities run, walk and roll together side-by-side to show their pride as Canadians and as runners.
- Since 2008, Canada Army Run has raised more than $2.1 million in support of Soldier On and Support Our Troops Fund - two Canadian Armed Forces financial support programs that provide assistance to ill and injured soldiers and military families in need.
- The Commanderís Challenge, in which participants complete the 5K and half marathon events, was a huge success in 2016 and will be returning in 2017.
- Canada Army Run race weekend offers something for everyone, including military displays, Kidsí Zone, live music, sports expo, and a unique opportunity to interact with your Canadian Army.
- Registration details can be found on our website at ArmyRun.ca.
Canada Army Run, presented by BMO Bank of Montreal, is a unique running event in which Canadians run, walk or roll side-by-side with members of the Canadian Armed Forces. To celebrate Canada Army Runís 10th anniversary, a new 10K race and the Vimy Challenge have been added to the half marathon, 5K event and the Commanderís Challenge, where participants complete both the 5K and half marathon events.
Photo by: Mike Pinder, official event photographer
Canada Army Run Video
Canada Army Run Associated Links
Website: ArmyRun.ca. Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Instagram.